Sunday, February 18, 2007

VUFSA Baseball Discussion

Any thoughts on the upcoming season or the draft can be posted and batted about here. Mr. Radcliffe starts us off below.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I've suggested this before, and I know it diminishes the anticipation of draft day, but I've had success doing drafts over email before, or even better, simply by posting picks on the yahoo message board embedded within our league. We could do this for a few rounds until a pre-determined day, then finish what we started. This way the majority of the draft is done on everyone's schedule, and the actual date we choose will be a much shorter draft.

Yes, those of you who get really amped up for draft day have already dismissed this concept in your head. But if you are serious about getting this to work for everyone and bring down the amount of time it takes on draft day, it's a good play. I know I still enjoy the draft even as it's more drawn out through email and what not, and the excitement is even prolonged over a few days.

Edwin said...

I see merit in an email draft- but I think that it may actually be harder to complete. For instance, if my (or drew's) draft slot comes up at 3p on a day we work at night, that day's action is done until at least 11p. Also, some of the owners in the league aren't the speediest with email, and there are times during a live draft where people get confused and pick out of turn or pick an already selected player. If that isn't picked up on time (because a player was picked a few days ago) it makes for a messy situation.

Even if we were to coordinate one round a day, that's all 10 owners finding checking their email in order, that's an 18 day draft, which I think becomes a pain more than a luxury. I'm against it when compared to a live draft, but it's a good option if we can't get everyone together.

JR said...

Yes, there would be long delays between picks...that's the beauty of it fitting into everyone's schedule. Again, I'm not advocating that we do the entire draft over email (unless we get into a serious rhythm), but merely as many rounds as we can until draft day, thus decreasing the time commitment to the latter. I'd like to think we can get it half done over email, at least.

As for 10 guys being on the same page...I'd like to think we can trust people to get it straight. Even Tomke. In the past with this format when we've had problems, it has not been too difficult to get it corrected in plenty of time. Between the other observers and the person who picks next, I have to think we can make amends for bad selections. You know I'll be checking constantly, as will Eli.

To facilitate the process, we have often made our pick and said, "Person X up next," to keep things in order. Usually, that's an unnecessary step, but it works.

I'm sure I can figure out a live draft time, but it seems getting people to sit still for 2.5 hours is the hardest task of all. This would greatly decrease that amount of time.

Eli said...

In all honesty, I have no faith in some of the people in this league to make picks via e-mail in a reasonable amount of time. All it takes is one person to sit on a pick for four days to really gunk up the process.

That doesn't mean I don't like those people, it just means they don't pay attention.

It really boils down to the fact that I don't want to make my draft pick and then wait five days to make my next choice. Usually, the drafts are my favorite part of each league.

JR said...

I understand your sentiments. I can speak from experience that it does work and can be a ton of fun, but I'll concede that the league I was working with was chock full of trustworthy, quick responders. Yes, there were snafus, but they never went longer than about 15-20 hours.

I just think it's going to be very difficult to make a full live draft work, with so few days as possibilities. But if we can work it out, then great.

Eli said...

We've done it eight times before, I think we can probably make it happen again. Most people are reasonably free on Saturdays and Sundays, I think.

And I'm not against the concept of an e-mail draft -- it's just that this ain't the league for it.

Anonymous said...

Hehe, what's Nate's line from Six Feet Under? "I've always wanted to be thinly veiled."

Edwin said...

Draft day is supposed to be the fun part. It's the actual season that is agonizing.

Eli said...

For the record, Lincoln, I've never proposed a trade to you that has expired because Yahoo thought it was taking too long.

JR said...

Yes, Lincoln, I firmly believe he was pointing the finger at Stem and not you, for the record.

Eli said...

Yes, we've whittled it down sufficiently: Andrew Stem takes forever to do anything.

And I still don't want an e-mail draft.

Edwin said...

well, after a whopping two responses, a slim 6 out of 8 of our days have been eliminated. Hopefully the 10th and 11th stay mostly clear.

Edwin said...

An update on the available draft dates:

We've had 3 responses and we've still got 6 of the 8 days with an almost rock-solid "no." The dates that are still good are the 31st and the 1st, the two closest to opening day.

I'm really trying to get a 10 man turnout so Drew and/or I can focus on just our own draft boards. An Idea to throw out there as a contingency: we still have friends outside of the league, no? How many people think that identifying a trusted proxy would be a problem?

JR said...

Yeah, I'm not okay with that, personally. But that's also because I'm a believer in the email draft.

Eli said...

I wouldn't trust a proxy.

Are we completely opposed to trying to do this on a weeknight? It probably won't take more than two hours. I'm off work at five, and it wouldn't be much of an issue for me, as long as I knew in advance. There's probably only about five nights in the next month where I couldn't do it.

Just throwing it out there.

Edwin said...

I've thought of a weeknight draft as well- but I do figure at least 3 hours (1 minute per pick x 180 picks). I'm not sure how well it would be received, as I know that Champ and Baron both start work by 3:30am, and are thus in bed pretty early. If the 31st/1st start to become blemished, can we look to a weeknight? Is there a popular opinion on this?

Anonymous said...

I can pretty much do anything, anytime.

Because I could do this shit at work and it wouldn't be a problem.

Just let me know when it works for everyone else and I'll make it work for me. Because I love you all so much.

-Dave

Anonymous said...

I'll throw out there that a weeknight draft would be terrific for me. Just about any time, any day during the week

-andy

Anonymous said...

I would be fine with a weeknight draft after the 11th. Until then, the state basketball tournament will be going on and my availability would be hit or miss.

-Stem

Anonymous said...

No Wednesday or Thursday nights if we're talking about weeknights.

-Tomke

Eli said...

If we're talking weeknights, I'm only out on March 15, 16, 18. Everything else *should* be fine.

JR said...

I can do weeknights in theory, but it'll be complicated with state playoffs going on for the next several weeks. If we narrow to 3-5, I can see what works best.

JR said...

so. any solutions? any dates still work? I say we whittle and whittle until there is one days left, then penalize those who can't get back to you in time by just picking that date.

Tee-hee-hee