
Did you know that a Google image search of Dave Tomke yields a photo of Ed and Jamie in just the fifth spot? Scary.
Dave Tomke, the late arriving, energetic wang mongrel staged a late entry into this year’s draft in much the same way he made a late surge up the 2007 VUFSA baseball standings. Thanks to a couple Jimmy Rollins swiped bases on the last day of the season (not that I am bitter or anything), Tomke saw his first money finish in the VUFSA, which he promptly forfeited by not paying dues. Nonetheless, 2008 looks to be the first year in which he manages to win and pocket the proceeds.
The Outfield
The outfield looks strong for Dave as he places Carl Crawford, Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee, and Curtis Granderson. All of whom stole double digit bases and scored 90+ runs. Soriano and Lee boast happy homer totals of 30 plus each. Curtis Granderson had a monster year at the top of an impressive Tigers line-up that grew more impressive with the acquisition of Miguel Cabrera. The recent pick-up of Rick Ankiel should help out while Curtis heals up.
(I wrote this recap of his outfield prior to the trade that sent Lee to JR's team. I liked this move for Tomke and write more so on it later.)
Outfield Grade: 3.5 wolf howls out of 4.
The Infield
Speaking of Miguel, he joins Tomke’s 2008 crusade securing a dominant force at the hot corner after posting career highs in homers and RBIs last season. At the other corner, the late blooming Carlos Pena will try to match ridiculous numbers from last season. Pena swatted 46 home runs, equaling his homer total from the three previous years combined.
The middle of the infield isn’t quite as attractive as the corners, but Edgar Renteria and Howie Kendrick are serviceable enough. With three Tigers in the starting line-up, as
Infield Grade: 2.5 wolf howls out of 4.
Starting Rotation
The starting rotation lacks a dominant option. John Maine and Ted Lilly both won 15 games, but aren’t the type of pitchers to build an overpowering rotation around. Phil Hughes and Matt Garza are a couple of young pups who need good years to fill out Tomke’s rotation. And what the hell happened to dear Bondo last year? +5 ERA?
(See, this is what I meant when I said his starting pitching needed help. That trade that brought Aaron Harang and Chien Ming Wang was a must do and did a nice job of addressing a serious weakness with a strength. And scratch all that stuff about Garza who Tomke has already dropped.)
Starting Rotation Grade: 2.5 wolf howls out of 4.
Relief Pitching
Dave’s options at the relief spot go from great to awful to Asian. K-Rod is a top notch closer and with Anaheim in contention in the AL West, should have plenty of save opportunities until that goofy ass wind up blows out his arm in an injury that should have happened 3 years ago. Following Rodriguez is the considerably less impressive Joe Borowski. Joe sucks. I hate him very much. If he did not close for my beloved Cleveland Indians, I would wish harm on him. Them there is Hideki Okajima who will help out in the ERA and WHIP fields.
Relief Pitchers Grade: Joe Blows makes this a negative 1 wolf howl out of 4.
5 comments:
My prediction:
Bondo wins Cy Young, Prior wins comeback deal, and Phil Hughes DOESN'T get hurt in the middle of a no-hitter, leading my pitching to not suck balls. Ed's team suffers congestive heart failure and I win the league.
-Tomke
I thought Drew's preview was today.
I was bumped!
I just read the Trampoline Bear post that was responsible for the Ed/Jamie picture in the Dave Tomke Google image search.
I thought the "Ed is responsible for Dave Tomke" post was funny.
-Tomke
Eli,
Sorry, I'm on Walgreens overnights all week and I'm all screwed up. I couldn't remember who was posting when and since we tied for third last year, had no help in viewing the standings.
For the record, I'm getting pulled into a meeting that will apparently last for four hours, so my Drew preview will be a little delayed.
Hopefully I'll have something this afternoon.
Post a Comment