I was going to suggest purchasing Walgreens stock...
Some more serious points:
-If people actually engraved the plaques and mailed them to one another, the money would be a lot less. I suspect we'd still be in the black, but still it would be less.
-My vote is to up the prize money a few bucks. As is, a respectable third place finish does not even break you even for the sport. Additionally, JR forbade me from mailing him $5.00 checks. In the same phone call, though, he wasn't wearing pants (not that unusual) and was making cat calls in the direction of the mailman (unusual). Not sure the relevance, just thought I'd share.
I have the basketball plaque in my drawer. Do I actually have to pay to get in engraved, then pay to mail it to Eli, who I don't really like? How much is that going to cost me? If the answer is greater than 10 dollars, I'm probably going to say screw you.
I feel like I'm going to break Ed's heart, but I'm not all that concerned about the plaques. I think it was a lot of fun at first to have them and such, but now I'm not all that concerned with having the plaque -- bragging rights and prize money is enough. We're all busy guys, and (speaking for myself here) I'm not sure there is that much interest in having a plaque, especially if it means getting it engraved and mailing it off to someone. Sorry.
I'm certainly willing to continue the plaque thing if it pleases the majority of the VUFSA. But one thing I never foresaw (and probably should have) was the payment required to get in engraved to hand it off to the next dude. The people who have the Stanley Cup don't have to do that.
Now again, I have no idea how much a small engraving like that costs. But I do know it's not an expense that I'll be motivated to pay, if more than nominal.
I say bank it. If I can't muster any personal savings, my fantasy league might as well have something for a rainy day.
Aside: Ed, when you chose the title for this post, did your memory recall my breathless rendition of the Captain and Tennille classic from the final round of the inaugural BRL Challenge?
-Let me first say that the football plaque is the centerpeice of my living room.
-I think I have the longest name in the VUFSA (tied with Lincoln) and it cost less than 2 dollars to engrave. -We have money budgeted (50 per year) for plaque upkeep fees. -Drew will reimburse you fully for any costs you encounter. As long as not everyone fears five dollar checks in the mail. -The plaque thing was one of the main reasons we set up the VUFSA. Their existence and their maintenence were written into the charter. It's nuts to get lazy about them one year after we spent an entire season's worth of dues on them.
JR- mail the plaque to Drew or I. We will reimburse your shipping costs and take care of the engraving and reshipping. I had no idea you even still had it.
And as far as the money- I say we up the money to 25, 15, 10.
I go one further and support a 30-20-10 prize money reward. The numbers are nice and pretty and it wouldn't break the bank either. $60 per sport times 3 sports would cost us $180. Throw in $40 for the overall winner of all three sports and that is $220 with expected dues (revenue) of $250. $30 per year can go toward plaque engraving and mailing costs and general savings for who knows what. In said proposal, at most we'd save per year is $30 thus avoiding a Student Senate-esque rollover amount and still appeasing the savers of the league to have a rainy day fund.
And yes, we'd have just enough left to buy the Royals.
If it's less than two dollars, I can probably take care of it. I figured it would be more. Like I said <10 is okay by me.
I think it's less about being lazy and more about just not being bananas for them. If plaques were really the reason we set up the VUFSA, then we're idiots. But I do realize we spent a lot on them, so I'll try to move mine along.
That's totally fine about the plaque thing -- if other guys want to keep it up, then I have no problem doing so. But if you're ever in my living room, don't be offended that my plaque will not be displayed, or even in the living room.
As for prize money, I like Drew's 30, 20, 10 idea.
And Viano is right about getting JR some damn pants. We could get him some nice Wrangler jeans at Wal-Mart for less than $12 ... I don't think he's picky.
As for the plaques, personally I like them and think that it's something that will be "neater" later down the line when there are more names on them. However, I'm not in the league solely for the plaque and if nobody else wanted it, I could do away with it. But, having recently invested so much in it, I'm inclined to let it play out a bit longer, which is what I think we've all agreed to do now, regardless of it's placement in your respective households.
Ed, do we need to vote on the 30-20-10 idea or is this something that I can just make happen? It seems from this thread that everyone is in favor of increasing the prize money with the amounts being the only part of the motion up in the air, with the 30-20-10 idea now getting the most support. I don't know that a whole lot more discussion is necessary on this unless someone who hasn't posted on this feels super strongly about it.
As for the Gun's suggestion of stat tracker for everyone in football, Ed and I had discussed that last year. So far as I can tell/remember, the only way to get the entire league stat tracker is to upgrade to fantasy football plus, which costs $124.99 for the league. Divided by 10 teams, that comes to a breakdown of $12.50 a piece, whereas if we bought it individually it's $10 a pop. Granted there are some other features in the Plus leage, but I'm not sure that everyone would necessarily want to go for the StatTracker. Anyway, I just wanted to add that it had been looked into, and if it were more economically feasible, I would jump at the chance. If there is a strong movement on the board to go for the Plus league, we could do it and get the extra perks for just $2.50 more. But, we'd need pretty much unanimous agreement to do it.
Lastly, I don't have jeans, but Walgreens does have pajama pants at 2/$12 and it would cover JR's bottom.
Honestly, I could do without stat tracker. I'd be fine if we got it, but if it's going to cut into the winnings I say forget it - I can wait until Monday morning
Cobfused. Why would we need to upgrade? Just have everyone purchase and send out a fleet of 10 dollar checks. too much paper work, i suppose.
I was at Comerica when Bondo pitched Wednesday. I cheered for him and demanded his baby. However, he could not hear me, but some guy (also in the further reaches of the outfield second deck) seemed curious.
Because the $100 suggestion currently is outside of the normal budget. It would be in addition to the normal operating costs of the league. Our surplus is not enough to handle a $100 annual hit (or the $125 one for the Fantasy Football Plus League). Currently, and the plan that we'll go with for now, is let people choose on an individual basis whether they want to pay extra for stat tracker.
But the real question is are you eating a brownie while wearing pants?
25 comments:
Stockpile it. And then one year, for like... the tenth anniversary of the league, we can do the draft in Hawaii or something.
Does that mean you'll spend the entire time in a hula skirt?
I want the travel agent who can get 10 men to Hawaii on $2500.
Well we won't invite Tomke. Nine men?
I was going to suggest purchasing Walgreens stock...
Some more serious points:
-If people actually engraved the plaques and mailed them to one another, the money would be a lot less. I suspect we'd still be in the black, but still it would be less.
-My vote is to up the prize money a few bucks. As is, a respectable third place finish does not even break you even for the sport. Additionally, JR forbade me from mailing him $5.00 checks. In the same phone call, though, he wasn't wearing pants (not that unusual) and was making cat calls in the direction of the mailman (unusual). Not sure the relevance, just thought I'd share.
-Drew
I have the basketball plaque in my drawer. Do I actually have to pay to get in engraved, then pay to mail it to Eli, who I don't really like? How much is that going to cost me? If the answer is greater than 10 dollars, I'm probably going to say screw you.
I feel like I'm going to break Ed's heart, but I'm not all that concerned about the plaques. I think it was a lot of fun at first to have them and such, but now I'm not all that concerned with having the plaque -- bragging rights and prize money is enough. We're all busy guys, and (speaking for myself here) I'm not sure there is that much interest in having a plaque, especially if it means getting it engraved and mailing it off to someone. Sorry.
Kinda wish we had come to this lackadaiscial conclusion $250.00 in plaques and three trips to the trophy store ago.
-Drew
I hear both of you.
I'm certainly willing to continue the plaque thing if it pleases the majority of the VUFSA. But one thing I never foresaw (and probably should have) was the payment required to get in engraved to hand it off to the next dude. The people who have the Stanley Cup don't have to do that.
Now again, I have no idea how much a small engraving like that costs. But I do know it's not an expense that I'll be motivated to pay, if more than nominal.
I say bank it. If I can't muster any personal savings, my fantasy league might as well have something for a rainy day.
Aside: Ed, when you chose the title for this post, did your memory recall my breathless rendition of the Captain and Tennille classic from the final round of the inaugural BRL Challenge?
Buy the Kansas City Royals
I say bank the money for now and spend it next year to buy JR some goddam pants.
Or increase prize money.
-andy
-Let me first say that the football plaque is the centerpeice of my living room.
-I think I have the longest name in the VUFSA (tied with Lincoln) and it cost less than 2 dollars to engrave.
-We have money budgeted (50 per year) for plaque upkeep fees.
-Drew will reimburse you fully for any costs you encounter. As long as not everyone fears five dollar checks in the mail.
-The plaque thing was one of the main reasons we set up the VUFSA. Their existence and their maintenence were written into the charter. It's nuts to get lazy about them one year after we spent an entire season's worth of dues on them.
JR- mail the plaque to Drew or I. We will reimburse your shipping costs and take care of the engraving and reshipping. I had no idea you even still had it.
And as far as the money- I say we up the money to 25, 15, 10.
I go one further and support a 30-20-10 prize money reward. The numbers are nice and pretty and it wouldn't break the bank either. $60 per sport times 3 sports would cost us $180. Throw in $40 for the overall winner of all three sports and that is $220 with expected dues (revenue) of $250. $30 per year can go toward plaque engraving and mailing costs and general savings for who knows what. In said proposal, at most we'd save per year is $30 thus avoiding a Student Senate-esque rollover amount and still appeasing the savers of the league to have a rainy day fund.
And yes, we'd have just enough left to buy the Royals.
-Drew
Too many numbers. My head hurts.
If it's less than two dollars, I can probably take care of it. I figured it would be more. Like I said <10 is okay by me.
I think it's less about being lazy and more about just not being bananas for them. If plaques were really the reason we set up the VUFSA, then we're idiots. But I do realize we spent a lot on them, so I'll try to move mine along.
That's totally fine about the plaque thing -- if other guys want to keep it up, then I have no problem doing so. But if you're ever in my living room, don't be offended that my plaque will not be displayed, or even in the living room.
As for prize money, I like Drew's 30, 20, 10 idea.
And Viano is right about getting JR some damn pants. We could get him some nice Wrangler jeans at Wal-Mart for less than $12 ... I don't think he's picky.
I will not let your pants oppress me.
Maybe we could buy stat tracker for everyone for football this year. It's the only sport where you really need it. Just a thought.
As for the plaques, personally I like them and think that it's something that will be "neater" later down the line when there are more names on them. However, I'm not in the league solely for the plaque and if nobody else wanted it, I could do away with it. But, having recently invested so much in it, I'm inclined to let it play out a bit longer, which is what I think we've all agreed to do now, regardless of it's placement in your respective households.
Ed, do we need to vote on the 30-20-10 idea or is this something that I can just make happen? It seems from this thread that everyone is in favor of increasing the prize money with the amounts being the only part of the motion up in the air, with the 30-20-10 idea now getting the most support. I don't know that a whole lot more discussion is necessary on this unless someone who hasn't posted on this feels super strongly about it.
As for the Gun's suggestion of stat tracker for everyone in football, Ed and I had discussed that last year. So far as I can tell/remember, the only way to get the entire league stat tracker is to upgrade to fantasy football plus, which costs $124.99 for the league. Divided by 10 teams, that comes to a breakdown of $12.50 a piece, whereas if we bought it individually it's $10 a pop. Granted there are some other features in the Plus leage, but I'm not sure that everyone would necessarily want to go for the StatTracker. Anyway, I just wanted to add that it had been looked into, and if it were more economically feasible, I would jump at the chance. If there is a strong movement on the board to go for the Plus league, we could do it and get the extra perks for just $2.50 more. But, we'd need pretty much unanimous agreement to do it.
Lastly, I don't have jeans, but Walgreens does have pajama pants at 2/$12 and it would cover JR's bottom.
-Drew
We won't put the 30/20/10 to a vote unless someone posts a comment strongly against it in the next 24 hours.
And Drew described our statracker-for-the-whole-league discussion perfectly. There's no way to do it for less than 100 bucks.
I'm just making sure that J.R. recognizes how much sweeter Bondo is than Randy Johnson.
Honestly, I could do without stat tracker. I'd be fine if we got it, but if it's going to cut into the winnings I say forget it - I can wait until Monday morning
-andy
Cobfused. Why would we need to upgrade? Just have everyone purchase and send out a fleet of 10 dollar checks. too much paper work, i suppose.
I was at Comerica when Bondo pitched Wednesday. I cheered for him and demanded his baby. However, he could not hear me, but some guy (also in the further reaches of the outfield second deck) seemed curious.
I am wearing pants right now.
Because the $100 suggestion currently is outside of the normal budget. It would be in addition to the normal operating costs of the league. Our surplus is not enough to handle a $100 annual hit (or the $125 one for the Fantasy Football Plus League). Currently, and the plan that we'll go with for now, is let people choose on an individual basis whether they want to pay extra for stat tracker.
But the real question is are you eating a brownie while wearing pants?
-Drew
J.R.
Bondo is wicked sweet.
-Dave
Post a Comment